Total Pageviews

Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Homeschooling: The Truth Behind The Rumors!


I love having a blog! I can say what I want without getting in trouble for it... :D 
So, I decided since I have not posted in a long time that I would do something fun. I am going to tell you all about my home school life...
That's right, I'm a nerdy little homeschooler! Now, I know what you're thinking, "This girl must be a freak!" Well, I am. Just get used to it, okay. 

The cons of Homeschooling: 
The worst part about homeschooling is that I am always the alien of the group. I mean, sometimes people think that because I am homeschooled I speak gibberish or I don't speak at all; I speak through my mind or something like that.

What people always ask me:
I hate it when I get the same questions asked to me by a thousand different people. Here are some of the usual questions: Have you ever been to a real school? Are you like really smart? Do you have any friends? How often do you leave your house?  Do you stay in your P.J's all day? How do you meet people if you are homeschooled? Is your family all musically inclined? How does prom work for you? 
Yeah, people just don't understand homeschooling.

The real life of a homeschooler:
Most people think that I can get away with sleeping in till noon being at home all day... Wrong, I have to get up at 7:00 a.m to attend my LDS Seminary class. I do an online school, so I technically do have teachers, they just can't hate me because thee only time they see me is through online chat rooms. I do get grades and I do learn, it's not all play and no work. I actually attend part time online collage classes through Weber State University too, so I do work a lot for my grades. I do have friends, most of them I meet through church and home school groups. I did attend my local school for a year and I did not like it; I learned nothing. I am not saying that public school is bad, but people learn in many different ways and I don't learn well in class rooms. 

Funny stories: 
When I was in my Seminary class I had this one teacher who kept asking me questions about homeschooling. He told me that he thought it was great but he could not understand how we socialize. He said that he would homeschool with his kids if their was more of a social aspect to it. Me, being very sarcastic, just couldn't resisted this window of opportunity. "Yeah," I said, "it has definitively been a challenge being socially awkward my entire life. But I amaze myself everyday at how well I can speak." I started to stutter at this point and kept looking away as if I was having a hard time at keeping eye contact, "I... I always have a hard time... T..T..Time talking to people, and S..S.. Sometimes I cant look... A..At them..." 
He never made another negative comment about homeschoolers in that class again. :D 

Messing with the new homeschoolers:
I love it when my mom brings new homeschooling moms to me so that they can learn more about high school home school. I just smile at them and say, "Homeschooling is a great thing for teenager, I am totally focus on my school work now that I have totally separated myself from society." They always look at my mom with concern when I say this for some reasons. "She is just kidding," my mom will say. The moms will then look back to me with a smile. "Well," I continue, "I guess it is not all that bad. The pointing and staring stops after awhile, suicidal thoughts go down after a year, and my resentment toward my parents is almost gone now." 
Yeah, people should really get to know me and my humor before they ask me serious questions like that. :D

I am actually very grateful to be homeschooled because I hardly have to worry about getting shot in school (R.I.P to all those dear children and teachers who died this last week). My parents don't have to worry about me getting involved with the wrong crowd, and I am happy. I think that me being homeschooled has helped me in more ways than I can count. It has helped my to be the person I am today. :D    

       




     

No comments:

Post a Comment